Thursday 19 June 2014

Pais Walsall

At long last, another update. I have been trying and trying to get this posted, but I've been a bit busy lately! So, here it is. Enjoy!

During the first week of June I had the privilege of working with the current Pais team in Walsall. I got to see where they work, how they work and who they work with. It was a great opportunity for me, as I will be the leader of the Pais Walsall team for the 2014-2015 academic year, and I now have a much better idea of how that unique team operates from day to day.

The Pais Walsall team is quite different from other Pais GB teams in that they work specifically in one school. They work so closely with this school that their office is actually located within the school. They are there from before 8am until 4pm, doing breakfast clubs, lunch clubs, assemblies, mentoring and Religious Education lessons with the students while also planning ministry, doing team Bible study and preparing church activities for the youth work they do at church as well.  

The school is quite supportive of Pais, which I find amazing. And actually, the more I think about it, the more I am convinced it is a miracle the team is in this school.

As a non-profit Christian organization, we are missionaries. Our motto is “Missionaries Making Missionaries” and here we are, a group of five, full-time missionaries invited into and supported by a secular institution in order to daily encounter and impact the student body, most of whom come from non-Christian families, many of whom come from Muslim families.

In addition, this school is located in a poor area of Walsall. These kids stink—literally. Many of them come to school smelling of smoke and…other things… and often show up in dirty uniforms. The school also has a unique approach to dealing with difficult kids; where normally they would be expelled (for disrespecting a member of staff or another student, unacceptable behavior, truancy, absences, etc.), the school works with them in a different way to help them succeed. And our team is invited in to help with these kids!

What an opportunity! Seriously, I cannot tell you how excited I am about working there next year, with a chance to build relationships with these kids who need to hear the Good News of Jesus Christ and who really need people to love, support and encourage them. It is going to be amazing and I am incredibly expectant for what God is going to do in that place!

Here are just a few pictures of my week in Walsall:
 This is Becky, my future Assistant Team Leader. And yes, she is stirring her tea with a ruler...
Four of the five members of the current Pais Walsall team having a bit of fun in the office.
So, while I was there, Pais Walsall did their annual fundraising event. This year they decided to do "Forfeits," having the members of their congregation pay money to see the team do (or have done to them) terrible things. This is me and Becky after a whole jar of hair gel was put into her hair and she was covered in beans. Yes, people actually paid money to see that. And I must admit, it was really funny! 
This is Becky taking off her sock because one of her forfeits was to drink a soda through her sock. She was not incredibly pleased, but she did it.

This is Luke, the current leader of Pais Walsall (and the guy who will be overseeing me regarding Pais next year) eating a super hot chili. He did it, but he cried. 
And this is Luke with his Assistant Team Leader Lou who both got pied in the face (and for Luke, a bit down the back of the trousers...). 

Even though they all did a great job raising money, I was sure to inform Becky that we will not be using this fundraising approach next year!


No comments:

Post a Comment