Sunday 14 September 2014

Weekly Wrap 16

Well, the first week of official work has come and gone, and I must say, it was a success. That meaning, nobody died. Pais Walsall is in the school and we are getting to know our kids, ahem, excuse me, 'young people.' Don't want to sound patronizing. Monday was a day off (for most, but not me and Becky) and that evening we had our first team social at Brewers Fayre, which was, for the Germans on our team, their first experience of an English pub--but a family pub with lots of food options and actually very few patrons, now that I think about it.

Tuesday was our first day in school. It was a chance for us to (re)introduce ourselves to the kids--I mean, young people--several of whom remembered me from the week I was here to visit in June! It felt good to be in the school, and I am excited about the relationships we can begin building with these ki....young people.

Here are some pics from the first day.
First official Pais Walsall 2014-2015 team photo in the office!
Everyone hard at work.
She's proud of her Wall of Gratitude
Johanna and Felix settling into their new work spaces
Clara working on decorations for the office
Unashamedly stealing markers...

The second day we worked from a coffee shop; such a hardship, I know! Because our security checks have yet to clear, we cannot access the internet in the school, so we worked from a place we could. And got good coffee while we were at it! We then hit a local park for a picnic lunch!


We have been blessed with some beautiful weather for the past three weeks!

Thursday we spent with our "Hub," the "West Midlands Hub" to be precise, which includes our team, the Pais team in Solihull (a town nearby) and our Hub leader Luke. It was a good day of refreshing and encouragement!
Luke talking about Acts 28 
Felix was a bit tired, so he took a short nap during lunchtime. 
West Midlands Hub!

Friday we were back in the school and worked on upcoming ministry as well as our first Pais Walsall video! It was a very productive day, and I was quite satisfied with the work we accomplished. Johanna and I also got our first glimpse of Kids Club and Youth Group at Bath Street!
 Becky directing our video
 Ruth, my amazing host, playing the Key Game with the kids during Kids Club
We did some archery during Youth Group!

Saturday--My Sabbath! I read. A lot. I just started The Little Coffeeshop of Kabul, and I'm very much enjoying it so far.

Today Johanna and I accompanied Ruth (my amazing host!) to church. Johanna got to experience Sunday school while I stayed in the service for the sermon (Next week will be my turn in Sunday school), and then we were invited to dinner at Ruth's parents. After that, it was back to church this evening, and now I get a bit more time to rest before tomorrow brings the beginning of another week.
Speaking of my amazing host, this is the welcome basket I received from Ruth (along with the cute slippers!) filled with all sorts of goodies! I feel so at home here, I love it!

I am looking forward to this next week as we begin ministry and have more opportunity to connect with the young people at school. Please pray for good and efficient use of our time in the office this week before we really get into ministry. I hope you've enjoyed this update and the pics. Check back next Sunday for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment