Saturday 23 April 2016

But Gary, There's Still a Problem

I just read a blog post written by one of my favourite writers, Gary Thomas, entitled, 'Here's Who You're Supposed to Marry,' and now I'm emotionally conflicted, wondering if I should laugh or cry. I'll probably do both, but which one first?

His advice for single women is that we choose to marry a man like this:

...If you read the book of Proverbs correctly, you'll look for a man who pursues wisdom even more than he pursues wealth or fun or video game excellence (Prov. 1:1-7). He'll be a guy who learned to listen to his mom and dad and thus developed a heart that will listen to God as he's older (1:8-9). He's the kind of guy who is able to resist peer pressure (1:10ff) and isn't driven by his lust (2:16ff). Look at how many times the book of Proverbs pleads with young men to avoid sexual temptation and ask, will your future husband take sexual integrity seriously? Do you have any idea how many wives' have had their lives turned upside down by their husband's failure to avoid sexual immorality? 

You want a man who isn't lazy (6:6-11), doesn't lie (6:17,19) and who is humble (11:2). He should be "full of the Spirit and wisdom" (Acts 6:3) and most definitely a believer (1 Cor 7:39). 

And that right there explains all of the amazing, single Godly women between 25-35 in the Western world.

This is fabulous advice Gary. I am in full agreement. But at the same time, it's completely laughable. Honestly, I know a handful of guys between 25-35 who might match this description, and I've lived in 6 cities in 2 different countries in the last 5 years, so it's not like I've got a small sampling. To go with that, I know dozens of Godly women who would love to marry a man like you describe.

Single men like this, unless I'm incredibly mistaken, which is a possibility, are few and far between, and that is an understatement. I have my own theory as to why that is, and it's a bit harsh on my parents' generation, so I'm not going to share it here. And I have a theory as to how to fix it, but only God can do that. #Revival

In the meantime, between assigning guilt as to the problem, which isn't productive or kind, and waiting on God as to the solution, which is what I've personally been doing for over a decade, what am I supposed to think about this advice? It's like saying 'You need to find yourself a polar bear at Miami beach.'

Ladies, if you've found a man like Gary describes, congratulations. Keep him, treat him well, and remember how blessed you are, because there are a ton of amazing single Godly women out there who wish they had what you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment